Assistant Professor of Chinese (Logan, Utah)
The Department of Languages, Philosophy, & Communication Studies at Utah State University invites applications for a tenure-track position: Assistant Professor in Chinese (Job link: http://usu.hiretouch.com/job-details?jobid=2804). Utah State University is located in a mountain valley 80 miles north of Salt Lake City. Candidates should have a Doctorate in Chinese language/culture or related field completed byAugust 13, 2018. Candidates should have the ability and willingness to teach a variety of courses and the ability to conduct scholarly research. Candidates must pass a background check, per university policy. Other qualifications include: Near native or native proficiency in Chinese and a high levels of proficiency in English, a desire to mentor students and an ability to compliment and enrich the current Chinese program. Applications should be submitted by December 1, 2017 to receive full consideration. Visit our departmental web page at http://lpcs.usu.edu/ for more information about USU. The Department of Languages, Philosophy, & Communication Studies at Utah State University invites applications for a new assistant professor in Chinese. This is a teaching emphasis position, but also requires an active research agenda. This is a nine-month, academic-year, tenure track position to begin August, 2018. Applications should be submitted by December 1, 2017 to receive full consideration.
1. Teach a variety of lower and upper division courses in Chinese language and culture.
2. Help build the Chinese language program and other related programs in the department, such as the Asian Studies or Global Communication majors.
3. Conduct and publish scholarly research in topics related to the Chinese language and/or culture.
4. Advise and mentor undergraduate students.
5. Serve in various departmental committees as needed.
1. Ph.D. in Chinese language/culture or related field completed by August 13, 2018;
2. Ability and willingness to teach all levels of Chinese language courses;
3. Demonstrated ability to conduct research and publish scholarly research;
4. Near-native or native proficiency in Chinese;
5. High level of English proficiency;
6. Ability and desire to mentor students;
7. Ability to complement, extend, and enrich the current strengths of the department;
8. Satisfactory background check per university policy.
Full-Time w/benefits package
Percent of Time or Hours per Week:
Commensurate with experience, plus excellent benefits
Required Documents (The names and contact information of 3 references will be collected during the application process):
Cover Letter, Evidence of Teaching Effectiveness, Other, Research Statement, Resume/CV, Teaching Philosophy, Writing Samples
Other Required document types/Special Instructions to Applicants:
Other document: Please include a link to a 5-10 minute teaching demonstration.
Both the philosophy of teaching and the research statement should be one to two pages and should be written in both Chinese and English.
Your references will be sent an email from USU, asking them to upload a letter of recommendation on your behalf.