Location: District-Wide (Kenosha/Racine/Walworth Counties), WI
Job Type: Adjunct Part-Time
Division: General Studies Division
Job Number: 17534
The purpose of this posting is to create a pool of qualified applicants to draw from, as needed, for temporary assignments.
Under the supervision of the Dean, General Studies, this individual will be considered when adjunct and/or substitute instructors are needed to teach Chinese I. Needs may become available prior to or during each semester. Adjunct instructors are required to implement effective learning strategies, deliver high quality instruction, assess student learning, and work closely with full time instructor in this area helping to advise students. Adjunct instructors are hired on a per course basis.
- Plan and teach courses which fulfill the current curriculum goals and objectives.
- Prepare a course syllabus, which includes course requirements, attendance requirements, grading criteria.
- Assess student performance and advise students on academic issues
- Adhere to class schedules. Meet attendance standards.
- Remain current in practices, trends and research related to areas of specialization or assignment.
- Employ appropriate assessment techniques to measure student performance in achieving course goals and objectives.
- Identify and assess students who are in need of additional instruction to successfully complete the course objectives and provide additional instruction to those students as needed.
- Check email or Blackboard for student rosters and other information as required.
- Maintain confidentiality relating to student matters.
- Participate in college, campus and department evaluation processes.
- Attend adjunct faculty meetings as scheduled.
- Interact constructively with resident faculty.
- Promote the education/training program, participate in efforts to recruit and retain students, and participate in efforts to market Gateway.
- Comply with college policies and procedures and department guidelines.
- Perform other job related duties as assigned.
- Master's degree in Chinese or Chinese Language, Literature, or Linguistics
- Must be able to develop Chinese I curriculum.
- Experience teaching adults in an accredited, degree granting, post-secondary educational institution.
- It is essential that all adjuncts have basic computer skills to be able to utilize various software systems for student correspondence and grades.
- Ability to work with a diverse group of related students.
- Skilled in teaching a wide range of related subjects.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills.
- Effective problem solving skills.
- Flexible schedule to accommodate day, evening and weekend students.
START DATE: ASAP
DIVISION/LOCATION: General Studies, District-Wide (Kenosha, Racine and Elkhorn)
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- Employment is contingent upon an acceptable background/reference check.
- Employment eligibility for the United States.
- Gateway does not sponsor employment based visas.
- Must participate in competency based professional development (FQAS)
- Flexibility is needed to accommodate day, evening and weekend students.
- Tobacco-free environment.
- Must have a valid driver's license and reliable transportation to travel within the District.
No benefits are provided in this category.