Teacher – Chinese: Maternity Leave Replacement (NY)
Ethical Culture Fieldston School is a progressive preK-12 independent school serving students from throughout New York City and the surrounding suburbs. Committed to academic excellence, ethical learning, and progressive education, ECFS offers a rich and challenging curriculum in the arts, sciences, and humanities. A co-ed, nonsectarian school, it serves a diverse community of about 1,700 students from PreK to 12 on two campuses — one in the Riverdale section of the Bronx, and the other in Manhattan. The middle school, located in the Bronx, is composed of approximately 400 students.
Fieldston Middle School is looking for an outstanding, experienced, middle school Chinese teacher, who is excited to work in a progressive school and in a highly collaborative environment to serve as a long-term sub for three levels of Chinese -6th, 7th, and 8th.
Responsibilities include teaching a full-time course load of 3 sections; serving as an advisor to a group of 10-12 students, working as a member of a grade-level interdisciplinary team, attending faculty meetings, and other shared middle school responsibilities.
Ideal candidates will be energized by employing a range of pedagogical approaches and will be excited by the opportunity to teach a diverse student body in a values based community. We are looking for candidates who have also demonstrated a commitment to addressing issues of equity, belonging, and privilege, within and outside the classroom. A passion for working with middle school students, a flexible attitude, a commitment to lifelong learning, and a sense of humor are essential.
- Bachelor’s degree – Mandarin Chinese Teaching field, Masters degree preferred with Native or Native-like fluency in Chinese.
- Minimum 5 years of prior relevant, classroom teaching experience and strong classroom management skills
- Familiar with and willing to explore student-centered, communicative pedagogical approaches
- Confident of designing lessons that promote inter-cultural awareness
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Proven ability to collaborate effectively with colleagues
- Prior work experience in a middle school environment
- Understanding of and desire to work with middle school students
- Proficient in the use of technology, including Smartboards
To be considered for the above-mentioned position, please send a letter of interest, a resume, a statement of educational philosophy and contact information for three professional references to the online employment site. Please generate all documents in one single MS Word or a converted .pdf file. Applications will be reviewed as they are received, and the position will remain open until filled. To learn more about the school by visiting the website: ecfs.org.
Please apply at https://www.ecfs.org/en/careers/