Full-Time Chinese Language Lecturer (Educator Track), (Singapore)
Position Description Yale-NUS College is a liberal arts and sciences college with approximately 1000 students and 110 full-time faculty. The College is a collaboration between Yale University and the National University of Singapore. Yale-NUS students are intellectually outstanding, with an acceptance rate of less than 7%, and internationally diverse, representing over seventy countries. They go through a unique and rigorous Common Curriculum in the sciences, social sciences and humanities that combines Western and Eastern traditions with contemporary skills. The College seeks to hire a full-time Chinese Lecturer (Educator Track). The successful candidate is expected to teach Mandarin courses of different levels and contribute to the ongoing development of a comprehensive Chinese language program at Yale-NUS College. The appointment will be for an initial period of three (3) years, beginning in August 2020 with the possibility of contract renewal subject to good performance and the College’s teaching needs. Faculty receive highly competitive salaries and yearly travel and research allowance, with access on a competitive basis to substantial grant funding. Most faculty qualify for highly subsidized faculty housing. Yale-NUS College is located in Singapore, a multicultural city of six million at the heart of a vibrant region.
Eligibility and Qualifications:
- Minimum of Master’s Degree in Chinese language, literature, culture, second language acquisition, applied linguistics, or related field
- Native or near-native proficiency in both English and Mandarin, and excellent oral and written communication skills • A proven record of excellent teaching at College level, creative and effective pedagogical approaches for undergraduate teaching and an interest in pedagogical research will be an advantage. Responsibilities
- Teach three (3) Chinese language and culture courses per semester
- Assist with Chinese curriculum development and related initiatives
Application Procedure Applications should be submitted via https://academicjobsonline.org/ajo/jobs/15988 Please submit the following materials (Note: Incomplete applications will not be considered.):
- CV and Cover letter (in English)
- Teaching statement (in English and Mandarin)
- Teaching portfolio with sample classroom exercises, evidence of educational technology integration, and recent student evaluations
- Copies of educational certificates and degrees
- Three reference letters
Shortlisted candidates will be asked to submit a video sample of classroom teaching. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Applications accepted until March 1st, 2020.